Our Climate Research Group met for the third time last week. They began to set the narrative for their report. Once published later this year it will support sustainable homes – and carve out a path to future proof our housing need beyond net zero.
The publication will be a strategic insight piece that supports the decarbonisation of housing stock and a move towards sustainable homes and living. To achieve this they’re creating three spin-off groups which will influence the document:
- Group 1: Qualifying an investable transition from Boardroom to Resident.
- Exploring high level investment models and good business case parameters. Providing guidance and options appraisals to landlords.
- Group 2: Defining the why we aspire to do this.
- Supporting the communications to residents. Exploring deep resident motivators against typical barriers. Creating resident literature SEC can produce, sponsor and support for use by our Members.
- Group 3: Reviewing outcome benefits and efficiencies
- Looking at smart ways to accelerate against the goal. Modelling early adopters’s premiums, vs delayed supply & demand premiums.
The sub-groups met for an hour and then all came back together to present back on their considerations. There were interesting conversations around investment impact based on Fuel Poverty vs rent arrears. And it was clear that the three main tenant considerations the group should prioritise in communications are:
Our Chair’s Highlights
The Group is Chaired by Jason Longhurst, from UKBCSD. –
‘We must focus on outcome benefits against real benefits. Does EPC/SAP carbon capture and uplift targets do enough – what’s the measure we have or need?
I loved that our third group is evolving a rethinking/innovation ecosystem concept. We will set narrative for the output to support sustainable homes – a path to future proof our housing need – beyond net zero.
Our report will outline how we:
- Innovate, and
- Provide multiple benefits.’
The three sub-groups will meet again to drive evidence detail and touch points that the group can include in the publication.
We’ll be publishing my blog updates as their conversations progress!