We recently carried out a mini tender via our Internal & External Building Works framework for Town & Country Housing. They approached us as they needed to appoint a major works contractor to deliver the removal and replacement of external cladding and FRA works to Ashby's Point in Tonbridge, Kent. After helping them with their documents and administering the tender Town & country awarded the contract to EQUANS.
Ashby’s Point is a purpose-built seven-storey mixed tenure residential block containing 92 flats. Works started on site in January 2022. They included:
- the removal and replacement of the existing external cladding systems and insulation to all elevations of the block.
- the surveying of cavity barriers within the brick facades and the specification of suitable replacement barriers where cavity barriers are missing or installed incorrectly.
- fire stopping by UKAS accredited specialist.
- replacement of timber decking with Ali-deck.
Project successes included –
- Creative and collaborative approach to solving challenges encountered with the scaffolding requirement. Through communicating with the client and liaising with the architect of the original buildings, we were able to identify alternatives to the traditional scaffolding ‘tying’, which is not possible on this scheme.
- Positive regular engagement with HSE, where suggestions for implementation have been adopted.
- Complemented by a bespoke Social Value plan, with activities to support residents and the local community, which will continue throughout the scheme.
- Broad range of resident engagement tools implemented, including RLO, Resident Information Packs, community engagement activities and a specifically designed microsite.
- Photographic records maintained at every stage with all O&M information and certification being shared electronically with the client via their appointed Consultant’s (Martin Arnold) CASPER system in order to ensure and preserve the ‘golden thread’ of information.
- The contract award is the start of a new client/contractor relationship, which is realising excellent, communication and a collaborative, solution-focused approach.